Thursday, May 9, 2013

Mindsets and How You Grow--yeah, YOU


Ever read Mindset by Carol S. Dweck? Life changing. Though I was reading it to inform me as an educator, which it did splendidly, I found myself applying it more to myself than to my students. I know that sounds terribly egocentric, but it is what it is. I have started thinking differently about parenting too and how to praise kids.

Dweck focuses on fixed mindsets versus growth mindsets. Those with growth mindsets allow themselves, well, to grow. They may feel failure or rejection acutely, but they will harness it and learn from it. Fixed mindset people will be defined by failure and rejection.

You also may be a growth minded person in one area, but not another. I'm totally not growth minded when it comes to drawing. I find it frustrating, though I wish I could do it better. I'm growth minded when it comes to music, sports and writing.

I'm not yet done with the book, but I'm getting there. It's great reading, but Dweck's style isn't as engaging as it could be, so if you're not really motivated to learn about this, you may find it a bit to slog through.  Still, I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment